Paire admits he played in Hamburg while Covid-19 positive

French player Benoit Paire was allowed to play the Hamburg Open despite testing positive for Coronavirus

0
354
Benoit Paire

French player Benoit Paire claimed that he was allowed to play at the Hamburg Open despite testing positive for Coronavirus in the German city.

Paire, ranked 25 in the world, was down 4-6, 0-2 against Casper Ruud when he retired from the first round match in Hamburg on Wednesday.

He later confirmed that he had been self-isolating in his hotel room since coming to Germany.

ALSO READ: Dzumhur may take legal recourse over French Open dismissal

“I spent 10 days in a hotel room during the US Open and again now,” he said. “I am tired. I practiced for one hour and then went to the hotel room – it is impossible to do. I was tired and had to stop.”

Paire had to withdraw from the US Open as he tested positive for the novel virus before the start of the Grand Slam in New York.

When asked if he had tested positive again, after coming to Europe, he said, “Yes, I was positive here in Hamburg since I arrived. The only negative test I got was yesterday.

ALSO READ: Covid-19 strikes French Open on the eve of qualifying

“Before that, there was two in a row where I was positive. But the rules seem different here. The ATP has to explain what the rules are. In Paris right now, players are testing negative, but because the coach is positive, they cannot play.

“Here in Germany, you test positive and can play. So again thank you to the tournament and the doctor here in Hamburg for letting me play. There are some rules I obviously don’t understand too much.

ALSO READ: Djokovic wins record 36th Masters title in Rome

“I was negative after the US Open, negative in France, negative in Rome and then positive in Hamburg. That’s all I know.”

This was Paire’s second tournament since he was made to pull out of the US Open. He had lost the opening round at the Rome Masters to Italian youngster Jannik Sinner.

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY