Peng Shuai: UN asks China proof of tennis star’s whereabouts

UN has asked China for proof of missing Chinese star Shuai Peng's whereabouts

0
960
WTA has suspended tournaments in China over Peng Shuai concerns

The United Nations (UN) has asked China for proof of missing tennis star Peng Shuai’s whereabouts.

Peng, 35, has been missing since making sexual assault allegations against former vice premier Zhang Gaoli more than two weeks ago.

ALSO READ: Concerns over Peng’s safety deepen after fake email

“It would be important to have proof of her whereabouts and well-being and we would urge that there be an investigation with full transparency into her allegations of sexual assault,” Liz Throssell, a spokeswoman for UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet’s office, told reporters in Geneva.

“According to available information, Peng, a former world doubles number one, hasn’t been heard from publicly since she alleged on social media that she had been sexually assaulted.

Upgrade your serve with our FREE guide

“We would stress that it’s important to know where she is and her state, know about her well-being. We think it would be important that there’s an investigation into her allegations.”

China’s central government has refused to even acknowledge any concern for Peng, with a Foreign Ministry spokesman sticking to Beijing’s line on Friday that his agency, at least, wasn’t aware of the controversy.

ALSO READ: Roger Federer not expected to be back by Wimbledon 2022

Zhao Lijian told reporters the matter was “not a diplomatic question, and I’m not aware of the situation.”

The International Olympic Committee said in a statement on Friday that experience had taught the organization, “that quiet diplomacy offers the best opportunity to find a solution for questions of such nature,” and declining any further comment.

ALSO READ: Pete Sampras calls Novak Djokovic the GOAT

There has been a mounting outcry from tennis players and the WTA and ATP.

WTA chief Steve Simon, on Thursday, told CNN that they were “definitely willing to pull our business” out of China if the country fails to account for Peng’s whereabouts and investigate her allegations.

ALSO READ: Daniil Medvedev fumes at ball boys during ATP Finals opener

“This is bigger than the business,” Simon told CNN. “Women need to be respected and not censored.”

Simon said in 2018 that China had promised to invest about $1 billion in women’s tennis, including for the construction of an all-new stadium, as part of the agreement.

ALSO READ: Iga Swiatek breaks down after WTA Finals loss

In his interview with CNN, Simon acknowledged the magnitude of his threat to walk away from that agreement, and said the WTA was prepared to “deal with all the complications that come with it.”

LEAVE A REPLY