Nick Kyrgios has engaged in a war of words with Bernard Tomic, who recently said he was “still” the better player.
Tomic, who is trying to make yet another comeback to the sport, was recently asked on social media who was the better player between the two at their peak.
ALSO READ: Benoit Paire frustrated after testing positive for ‘250th time’
“I still am,” said Tomic, who has won the pair’s only career meeting — 6-3, 6-4 in Kooyong in 2019.
In a recent interview he said: “It was comfortable when I beat him with all due respect. Whenever he wants I am happy to make it 2-0.
Sharpen your forehand with our FREE guide
“I’m more than happy to do a rematch at any time. His style suits me. I’ve had no problems with big servers.
“I just want to set the record straight. I’ve beaten (the likes of) Marin Cilic, Lleyton Hewitt and Nick.”
ALSO READ: Novak Djokovic to skip ATP Cup
Kyrgios is currently ranked 93 in the world while Tomic is at 260. The latter played just one match on the ATP Tour last year.
Tomic progressed to the second round of the Australian Open after Yuichi Sugita retired during their opening round clash.
ALSO READ: Tennis players who retired in 2021
He will again have to go through the Australian Open qualifying for his home Slam. Kyrgios was left puzzled by the unprovoked taunts.
“I’m probably one of the only people in tennis in Australia that’s stood up for him multiple times,” Kyrgios, a controversial figure himself, replied.
ALSO READ: Russian player barred from playing Australian Open
“I’ve done things for him, my family, my brother’s done things for him.
“I’m not sure (if we’ll play each other), but as far as I’m aware, I don’t think he is even in the Australian summer.
ALSO READ: Peng Shuai backtracks sexual assault allegation in dubious video
“I haven’t seen his name anywhere, or what tournaments he is playing.”
The Australian Open qualifying event begins on January 10, while the main draw matches will start from January 17.