Indian Wells Masters: Carlos Alcaraz returns to World No 1

Carlos Alcaraz returns to World No 1 after claiming Indian Wells Masters title on Sunday

0
1331
Carlos Alcaraz returns to World No 1 after winning Indian Wells Masters

Carlos Alcaraz returned to World No 1 after claiming the Indian Wells Masters title on Sunday.

The top seed snapped Daniil Medvedev’s 19-match win streak with a 6-3 6-2 rout in the Indian Wells final.

ALSO READ: Novak Djokovic equals Steffi Graf record for most weeks at No 1

Alcaraz did not drop a set across six matches in the tournament and his performance in the California desert gives him an added boost of confidence ahead of his Miami Open title defence.

“I’m playing great. Of course today, the conditions today were pretty tough. Of course Daniil didn’t play at his best, obviously,” said Alcaraz.

“All I can say is I’m really happy with my performance, the way that I was playing this tournament. I’m looking forward to playing this level in Miami as well.”

Upgrade your serve with our FREE guide

Alcaraz enjoyed a dream start to the matchup of first-time Indian Wells finalists as he got an early break for a 2-0 lead and dropped just six points on serve, racing through the opening set in 36 minutes.

Russian fifth seed Medvedev, who was looking to add another title to the ones he collected in Rotterdam, Doha and Dubai over the last month, was unable to stop the bleeding and had no answer for the Spaniard’s brilliance the rest of the way.

ALSO READ: ATP completes Alexander Zverev investigation

“It was a surprising week in many aspects,” said Medvedev. “The ankle, the thumb, the tennis, wind, whatever. But we almost made it. … I will try to be better next time.”

The victory marked the third ATP Masters 1000 trophy for 19-year-old Alcaraz, who became the youngest world number one last September when he won the U.S. Open and held that spot for 20 weeks until Djokovic reclaimed it in January.

ALSO READ: Elena Rybakina coach under fire at Australian Open

Djokovic withdrew from the draw for the Indian Wells event in an indication that his application for a vaccine waiver to enter the US might have failed.

The Serbian has also withdrawn from the Miami Open.

LEAVE A REPLY