Though Andy Murray went down to Kyle Edmund in a ‘Battle of the Brits’ match on Wednesday, he sounded confident about returning to high level tennis.
The 33-year-old, who has been struggling with hip injury for the past few seasons, last played a competitive match in November, 2019. But as tennis is inching to a restart, he feels rested and ready for action.
“After a match like that I hope my hip is OK, and I pull up well from it,” Murray said, after a 6-7(2), 7-6(5), 10-5 defeat to Edmund.
“The hip feels good. If I play like that and do a few things better, sharpen up a couple of things, I will play high level tennis.
“That was good, positive. Then it’s pulling up the next day, see how you feel, not getting in a situation where you have to take two to three weeks off to recover basically.”
The three-time Grand Slam champion had first dropped hints of retirement at the 2019 Australian Open, but since has undergone a hip resurfacing surgery. Once ranked No 1 in the world, he has slipped to 129 on the ATP charts.
Earlier this month, Murray had said he was keen on playing the US Open and the French Open this season.
“Playing the Grand Slams would be my priority,” he had said after US Open and French Open announced their revised dates.
“I don’t mind what the situation is provided it is safe. If I was told I could take one person with me, for example, you can make that work. I’d probably go with a physio and some coaching could be done remotely.”
Though the Battle of the Brits, organized by brother Jamie Murray, is an exhibition event it has helped Andy Murray get some much-needed match practice. It is the first tournament he is playing since the Davis Cup Finals last November, and defeated Liam Broady in his first match back on Tuesday.