The ATP and WTA have decided to strip Wimbledon of ranking points this year due to their ban on players from Russia and Belarus.
The move may reduce the Championships, the most prestigious event on the tennis calendar, to the status of a high-profile exhibition event.
“It is with great regret and reluctance that we see no option but to remove ATP Ranking points from Wimbledon for 2022,” said an ATP statement.
“Our rules and agreements exist in order to protect the rights of players as a whole. Unilateral decisions of this nature, if unaddressed, set a damaging precedent for the rest of the Tour.
“Discrimination by individual tournaments is simply not viable.”
The WTA, which operates the women’s tour, joined their male colleagues in withholding points for the tournament which starts on June 27.
WTA chief Steve Simon said: “As a result of the All England Tennis Club’s position that it will not honour its obligation to use the WTA Rankings for entry into Wimbledon, and proceed with a partial field not based on merit, the WTA has made the difficult decision to not award ranking points for this year’s Wimbledon.”
Wimbledon’s ban has ruled out a swathe of top players, including men’s world No 2 Daniil Medvedev and last year’s women’s semi-finalist Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus as well as two-time major winner Victoria Azarenka.
Wimbledon chiefs at the All England Club branded the move by the ATP and WTA as “disproportionate”.
The ATP, however, hinted at a resolution to the impasse.
“We remain hopeful of further discussions with Wimbledon leading to an acceptable outcome for all concerned.”