Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the Rio Open, possibly bringing down the curtain on his career.
Del Potro, who lost on his comeback in the first round of the Argentina Open on Tuesday, had earlier said that the events in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro would likely be his last.
“Juan Martin Del Potro unfortunately will not compete in the Rio Open,” organisers of the ATP 500 Rio Open said in a statement.
Top emotional tennis moments: @delpotrojuan 🥺
— ATP Tour (@atptour) February 9, 2022
“It’s always been a dream to have him with us and we’ve come very close to being able to do it.
“We want much success in the future and know that the doors of Rio Open will always be open to you.”
The 33-year-old Argentine, who won US Open in 2009, has been troubled by a knee injury in recent years.
He lost to compatriot Federico Delbonis this week his first outing since March 2019.
Asked if fans would see him play again, a teary Del Potro said: “I don’t know if it’s going to happen, because the pain in my knee is very high. But I will keep doing a big effort to fix the knee, and if I get that, maybe I will have another chance to play.”
After turning professional in 2005, Del Potro won 22 titles and also made the semi-finals at the French Open and Wimbledon.
He returned to the US Open final in 2018 before losing to Novak Djokovic.