Andy Murray pulls out of season-opener in Delray Beach

Andy Murray has pulled out of the ATP event in Delray Beach due to Coronavirus concerns

0
833
Andy Murray tests positive for Coronavirus

Andy Murray has pulled out of the season-opening Delray Beach Open in Florida next week due to COVID-19 concerns ahead of the Australian Open, which is scheduled to begin on Febraury 8.

Murray, who missed most of the 2020 season due to pelvic injury and his hip problem and struggled for form on his comeback in August, had accepted a wildcard for the ATP 250 tournament, from January 5-12, last week.

ALSO READ: ATP finds Querrey’s ‘conduct contrary to integrity of the game’

The tournament serves as a warm-up for the Australian Open in Melbourne.

“After much deliberation with my team I’ve decided not to travel to play in Delray Beach,” Murray, 33, said on Thursday.

Sharpen your forehand with our FREE guide

“Given the increase in COVID rates and the transatlantic flights involved, I want to minimise the risks ahead of the Australian Open.”

Murray, a former world number one and three-times Grand Slam champion, underwent hip resurfacing surgery in January last year and has slipped to 122nd in the rankings after playing only seven matches this year.

ALSO READ: There’s a lot of hypocrisy in tennis, says Paire

LEAVE A REPLY