Nick Kyrgios: A series of unfortunate tweets

Nick Kyrgios has now taken potshots at US Open semi-finalist Pablo Carreno Busta

0
6598
Nick Kyrgios

There was a time, not too far ago, when Nick Kyrgios was deemed the voice of reason. The Australian started the year with some stellar work for bushfire relief and helped those in need during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Kyrgios was also pretty vocal against the Adria Tour, calling it ‘boneheaded’, and its players. He criticised them for not maintaining social distance and indulging in friendly football and basketball games, and partying in an indoor club during the pandemic.

ALSO READ: Djokovic has taken an L regardless, says Kyrgios

So far, so good.

Though his criticism against World No1 Novak Djokovic and the other Adria Tour players, four of whom tested positive, was biting it wasn’t completely off the mark.

But the 25-year-old, who has more than 400,000 followers on Twitter, now seems to be taking a dig at anyone and everyone, warranted or not.

ALSO READ: ‘Partying like potatoes during a global pandemic’

After Djokovic was defaulted from the US Open fourth round for accidentally hitting a lineswoman with a ball, Kyrgios started a poll on social media: “Swap me for jokers incident. ‘Accidentally hitting the ball kid in the throat’ how many years would I be banned?’. The options were 5, 10 and 20 years.”

Now, the Australian, who skipped the US Open and is very unlikely for the French Open, is taking potshots at Pablo Carreno Busta.

“If clay didn’t exist. Dude wouldn’t have even been close to top 50,” Kyrgios tweeted, before deleting it.

For the record, Carreno Busta will be playing his second US Open semi-final on Friday. He has won three titles on hard courts and one on clay. The mercurial Kyrgios’ best finish at a Grand Slam is making it to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in 2014.

ALSO READ: Coric intellectual level equals zero, says Kyrgios

Wheen the 29-year-old Spaniard was asked about it, he chose to dismiss it.

“He must be pretty bored,” Carreno Busta, ranked 27 in the world, told reporters at the US Open.

“When he comes back to tournaments, we will talk about him because he deserves it and in the meantime, well nothing, he will continue to tweet from home.”

ALSO READ: Kyrgios, Becker exchange verbal volleys on twitter

To which Kyrgios replied: “Obviously would love to be playing the US Open but due to conditions didn’t feel comfortable. Yes Carreno Busta I’m a little bored and I would rather be chopping you again. 2-0.”

Later, in a reply to a tweet by a reporter at The Athletic, he included himself in the list of players that bring crowds to tennis stadiums.

ALSO READ: Resurgent Azarenka denies Serena shot at major record

This is how the exchange went:

“Through first 8 days of @usopen ratings on ESPN down 46 percent. ESPN notes overlap between NBA and tennis fans hurting the Open figures. No Rafa and Federer too,” Daniel Kaplan tweeted.

“Monfils, Wawrinka, kyrgios – 3 of the other tennis players that bring crowds and TV Ratings,” Kyrgios replied.

He had earlier taken to Twitter to praise Canadian young gun Felix Auger Aliassime, with a subtle reference at himself: “FAA is sick to watch – gonna bring fans from other sports, reminds me of someone.”

ALSO READ: Every single one of us deserves a Grand Slam title, says Thiem

LEAVE A REPLY