The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has been forced to cancel all seven tournaments, including the season finale, in its provisional calendar for 2020.
“Due to the recent decision by China’s General Administration of Sport that China will not host any international sporting events in 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all WTA tournaments that were scheduled in China on WTA’s provisional calendar will not be held,” the WTA said in a press statement.
The seven events on the 2020 provisional calendar were:
– Oct. 12 – China Open (Beijing)
– Oct. 19 – Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open
– Oct. 19 – Jiangxi Open (Nanchang)
– Oct. 26 – Zhengzhou Open
– Nov. 9 – Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen
– Nov. 16 – Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai
– Nov. 23 – Guangzhou Open
— wta (@WTA) July 24, 2020
“We are extremely disappointed that our world-class events in China will not take place this year,” stated Steve Simon, WTA Chairman and CEO.
“Unfortunately, this decision also includes the cancellation of the WTA Finals Shenzhen and as result, the corresponding Porsche Race to Shenzhen. We do however respect the decision that has been made and are eager to return to China as soon as possible next season.”
ATP follows suit
The men’s governing body ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) also followed suit and has cancelled the 2020 tournament swing in China.
The Shanghai Masters, Asia’s only ATP Masters 1000 tournament, the China Open in Beijing, an ATP 500 event, as well as the Chengdu Open and Zhuhai Championships, ATP 250 events, will not take place.
“Our approach throughout this pandemic has been to always follow local guidance when staging events. We respect the Chinese government’s decision to do what’s best for the country in response to the unprecedented global situation,” said Andrea Gaudenzi, ATP Chairman.
Earlier in the week, the ATP had announced that the Washington Open, which would have marked the resumption of the men’s tour, had been cancelled.