Alize Cornet has back tracked on her French Open epidemic claim after protocol questions arose at Wimbledon.
Two star players, Marin Cilic and Matteo Berrettini, have so far withdrawn from Wimbledon for testing positive for the virus.
Cornet claimed that at Roland Garros, earlier this month, there had been an epidemic of the virus that had halted the world in 2020.
“In the locker room, everyone had it and we said nothing,” said Cornet. “I saw girls wearing masks, perhaps because they knew and did not want to pass it on.”
Hours later, Cornet rowed back on her claims, writing on social media that she only “suspected a few cases of covd during Roland Garros, without having any proof”.
“It was above all to emphasise that the virus was now part of our lives and that we had to deal with it,” she said.
Rafael Nadal ‘feels great’
Rafael Nadal said he “feels great” even though Wimbledon practice partner and 2021 runner-up Matteo Berrettini withdrew from the tournament.
“It’s difficult to be a close contact when you are outside, when you are practising,” said Nadal, who defeated Francisco Cerundolo 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 in Wimbledon first round on Tuesday.
“For the moment I am feeling great, no problems at all.”
The All England Club said in a statement that protocols remained in place to minimise the risk of infection.
“We are following UK guidance around assessment and isolation of any potential infectious disease,” the statement said.
“Our player medical team also continue to wear face masks for any consultation.”