High-profile retirements hit Wimbledon as Matte Berrettini, Marin Cilic and Grigor Dimitrov all pulled out of the event due to various reasons.
Berrettini, last year’s finalist, withdrew ahead of his first-round match against Cristian Garin as he tested positive for the virus.
“I am heartbroken,” said Berrettini, who said he has had flu symptoms and been isolating for the past few days.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) June 28, 2022
He has been replaced in the draw by lucky loser Elias Ymer of Sweden.
“I have no words to describe the extreme disappointment I feel,” added Berrettini.
“The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger.”
He has won his past nine matches on grass after winning the Stuttgart final – where he beat Britain’s Andy Murray – earlier this month before going on to retain his title at Queen’s.
Berrettini only returned to the tour at Stuttgart after a three-month absence following surgery on his playing right hand.
Croatia’s Cilic, who reached the SW19 final in 2017, also pulled out of Wimbledon on Monday because of the virus.
Players do not have to test routinely at Wimbledon this year, which is back at full capacity for the whole tournament after some restrictions were still in place in 2021.
“I have been self-isolating and was hopeful I would be ready but unfortunately I am still feeling unwell and unable to compete at my best,” Cilic stated.
The 14th seed has been replaced by lucky loser Nuno Borges of Portugal.
Dimitrov suffers injury
Meanwhile, Grigor Dimitrov retired in the middle of the second set during his first-round match against American opponent Steve Johnson on Tuesday.
The 18th-seeded Dimitrov, playing on Court No 2, was trailing 5-2 in the second.
He decided to stop after a medical evaluation of his leg.