Roger Federer to undergo another knee surgery

Roger Federer announced he will undergo another knee surgery and miss the upcoming US Open

0
1212
Roger Federer does not expect to be back by Wimbledon next year

Roger Federer announced on Sunday that he will undergo another knee surgery and will miss the US Open, which begins on August 30.

Federer, who turned 40 earlier this month, had undergone two knee surgeries last year and was out for almost 15 months due to it.

ALSO READ: Gael Monfils baseline dance leaves opponent, umpire bemused

“I just wanted to give you a bit of an update [on] what’s been going on since Wimbledon,” Federer said in a video posted on Instagram.

“As you can imagine, it’s not been simple. I’ve been doing a lot of checks with the doctors as well on my knee, getting all the information as I hurt myself further during the grass-court season and Wimbledon.

Upgrade your serve with our FREE guide

“That’s just not the way to go forward, so unfortunately they told me for the medium to long term to feel better, I will need surgery. I decided to do it.

“I’ll be on crutches for many weeks and also out of the game for many months, so it’s going to be difficult of course in some ways, but at the same time I know it’s the right thing to do because I want to be healthy, I want to be running around later as well again and I want to give myself a glimmer of hope to return to the tour in some shape or form.”

ALSO READ: CoCo Vandeweghe explains what led to warm-up controversy

Federer has played five tournaments since having those surgeries, all of which came this season. The 20-time major champion most recently competed at Wimbledon.

“I am realistic, don’t get me wrong. I know how difficult it is at this age right now to do another surgery and try it,” he said.

ALSO READ: Taylor Fritz suffered from irregular heartbeat in Canadian Masters loss

“But I want to be healthy, I will go through the rehab process I think also with a goal while I’m still active, which I think is going to help me during this long period of time.”

At the end of his video, Federer made sure to thank the fans for all the support and continuing to motivate him through the highs and lows.

ALSO READ: Lorenzo Musetti made to withdraw from Toronto ATP 1000

LEAVE A REPLY