US Open champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open as she is still recovering from a hamstring injury.
Osaka, who had pulled out of the final of the Western & Southern Open in New York due to the hamstring problem, played the entire US Open with a taped thigh.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to play the French Open this year,” Osaka posted on Twitter on Thursday.
“My hamstring is still sore so I won’t have time to prepare for the clay – these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time.
“I wish the organisers and players all the best.”
The World No 3 had battled from a set and break down against Victoria Azarenka in the US Open final to win her third major and second title in three years at Flushing Meadows.
— NaomiOsaka大坂なおみ (@naomiosaka) September 18, 2020
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the French Open was moved from its usual May-June spot and will be played from September 27 to October 11 this year.
Osaka is the second high-profile women’s player to withdraw from Roland Garros, after World No 1 and reigning French Open champion Ashleigh Barty said that she would not be travelling to Europe due to health and safety concerns.
Clay is not the 22-year-old Osaka’s most proficient surface — she has never gone past the third round at the French Open.
On the men’s side, Roger Federer will not compete as he continues to recover from knee surgery.
Meanwhile, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) said on Thursday it would allow 5,000 spectators per day following a recent spike in COVID-19 cases in the country.
It had previously said the clay-court major would permit a maximum of 11,500 fans per day.
Fans will now be allowed only at the main show court– Court Philippe Chatrier.