Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Australian Open as he is not yet a hundred percent fit.
Sis-time Australian Open champion last played a competitive match at the season-opening Grand Slam in January before he had to undergo surgery on his knee. He later required a second operation.
Earlier in the month Federer had expressed doubts over his participation at the Australian Open, which has been delayed a February 8 start. Even though the 39-year-old has been training in the warmer weather of Dubai he feels he is not there yet to make a comeback.
“Roger has decided not to play the 2021 Australian Open,” Godsick said in a statement. “He has made strong progress in the last couple of months with his knee and his fitness.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) December 28, 2020
“However, after consultation with his team, he decided that the best decision for him in the long run is to return to competitive tennis after the Australian Open.”
Godsick is confident that Roger Federer will be able to work out a schedule to return to competitive action in 2021 wherein Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics are likely to be his priority.
Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said they were disappointed to lose Federer for next year’s event.
“In the end Roger ran out of time to get himself ready for the rigours of a Grand Slam and he’s very disappointed he won’t be coming to Melbourne in 2021,” Tiley said in a statement.
“We wish him all the best as he prepares for his comeback later in the year and look forward to seeing him in Melbourne in 2022.”
This is the first year Federer will miss the Australian Open since his debut at the qualifying tournament in 1999. He has made 15 trips to the semi-finals and won the last of his six Melbourne titles in 2018.