All the Australian Open tune-up events have been cancelled for a day as a person in the Australian Open bio-bubble tested positive for the virus. No ATP or WTA matches will take place on Thursday.
Up to 600 players and support staff connected to the Australian Open will have to isolate until they have been tested after a man, who worked his last shift at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne on Friday, returned a positive result on Wednesday.
ALSO READ: I hate this stupid sport, says Tennys Sandgren
“We will work with everyone involved to facilitate testing as quickly as possible,” the organisers of the first major of the season said in a statement.
“There will be no matches at Melbourne Park on Thursday. An update on the schedule for Friday will be announced later today.”
Am I playing tomorrow?
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) February 3, 2021
It seemed to have created some confusion among the players. Nick Kyrgios took to twitter to pose the question, ‘Am I playing tomorrow?’
Last week it was revealed that up to 30,000 fans per day, around 50% of the usual attendance, will be allowed during the Australian Open.
Upgrade your serve with our FREE guide
It remains to be seen if Wednesday’s setback changes things.