Australian Open: Novak Djokovic loses visa appeal

Novak Djokovic lost his visa appeal and will not compete at the Australian Open

0
939
Novak Djokovic said he was humiliated on the world stage

Novak Djokovic will not defend his Australian Open title as he lost the visa battle in court and is set to be deported from the country.

The Federal Court upheld a government decision to cancel the unvaccinated Serbian player’s visa.

ALSO READ: ‘This Australian Open will still be great,’ says Rafael Nadal

Djokovic had been granted a medical exemption for the Melbourne major but Immigration Minister Alex Hawke, on Friday, cancelled his visa.

The government argued the 34-year-old posed a threat to public health.

Sharpen your forehand with our FREE guide

During Sunday’s court hearing before a three-judge panel, Djokovic’s counsel unsuccessfully argued that the grounds given by the government were “invalid and illogical”.

Djokovic has been staying at an immigration detention hotel in Melbourne, the same place he was taken after his visa was first revoked following his arrival on 6 January.

ALSO READ: Emma Raducanu to take on Sloane Stephens in Australian Open first round

He was supposed to play his first match on Monday against fellow Serb Miomir Kecmanovic.

LEAVE A REPLY