Novak Djokovic’s visa has been cancelled again by Australia and the World No 1 now faces deportation from the country.
On Monday, Djokovic had won a legal battle to stay in the country after he was put into immigration detention on January 6.
The Serbian tennis star’s visa had been revoked the first time because he did not have the required documents to support his medical exemption for the Melbourne major.
But immigration minister Alex Hawke made the decision to revoke his visa on Friday evening. Djokovic can again challenge the decision in court if he wishes to remain in the country.
He was scheduled to play the Australian Open, which begins on Monday, January 17. Djokovic was the top seed in the men’s draw and was to open his campaign against countryman Miomir Kecmanovic.
According to the BBC, Hawke cancelled Djokovic’s visa under separate powers in Australia’s Migration Act.
The act allows him to deport anyone he deems a potential risk to “the health, safety or good order of the Australian community”.
A day after winning the legal battle, Djokovic had released a statement admitting that he had broken virus protocols and ‘made a mistake’ on the immigration form.
Djokovic had falsely said that he did not travel to any other country in recent weeks, when in fact he had been training in Spain to prepare for the Australian Open.
The Serb said his agent had made the mistake and that it was a ‘human error’ and not ‘deliberate’.