Two players test positive at the French Open

A men’s doubles team competing at this year’s French Open has reportedly tested positive for the virus and have been withdrawn

0
403
Mate Pavic (L) and Nikola Mektic would have been the men's doubles top seeds at the French Open

Just days into this year’s French Open, a men’s doubles team has tested positive for the virus and has been withdrawn from the Grand Slam.

“The Roland Garros tournament organisers confirm that two players from the Men’s doubles draw, on the same team, have tested positive,” the French Tennis Federation (FTF), said in a statement.

ALSO READ: Marathon man Kei Nishikori through in five

“In line with the tournament’s public health and safety protocol, the pair have been removed from the draw… and the two players placed in quarantine.

“They will be replaced by the first team on the alternate list.

Sharpen your forehand with our FREE guide

“This is the first occurrence in which the tournament organisers must remove players, in accordance with their health protocol.

“As a reminder, the health of all tournament players and that of their teams is continuously monitored through very regular testing, and they live and train in socially-distanced ‘bubbles.’”

ALSO READ: Dominic Thiem parts ways with manager Herwig Straka

The FTF reportedly conducted around 2,446 tests on players since the qualifying rounds started on May 24. On Wednesday night however, the first positive cases were detected.

Doubles’ slots still not full

The organisers did not name the players in their statement. However, there is a possibility that it could have been the Croatian pair of Mate Pavic and Nikola Mektic. Ranked No 1 and 2 in the world respectively, the duo would have been the top seeds in the men’s doubles draw.

ALSO READ: ‘Grand Slam protecting themselves,’ says Djokovic on Osaka saga

They were replaced by the Spanish team of Pablo Andujar and Pedro Martinez.

There is also a possibility that the positive cases may have been that of Spaniards Jaume Munar and Feliciano Lopez – who were expected to play Pavic and Mektic in the first round.

ALSO READ: Alexander Zverev mocks Naomi Osaka

So far, no team has replaced the Munar-Lopez duo, and the entry remains as ‘alternative’ on the French Open website.

LEAVE A REPLY