There is no end in sight for Andy Murray injury woes . The former World No 1, who has been trying hard to find a way back into top-league tennis since undergoing two hip surgeries, had pulled out of the ATP event in Cologne due to a pelvic injury.
In a Facebook post on Sunday, Murray said he decided to pull out of the tournament after a practice session.
“I’ve been trying to deal with it in training, and in the matches, and unfortunately after my match here this week it’s flared up again,” Murray said.
“I’ve been practicing the last few days and trying to manage it, but after playing some points today, I decided it was not going to be good enough to play.”
The 33-year-old had lost in straight sets to Fernando Verdasco in the opening round of the first of the two back-to-back ATP events in Cologne last week.
Murray has been beset with injury since the 2017 season. Having finished 2016 at the top of the world rankings, the Brit’s body began to creak the following year. He was barely able to stand in the closing stages of his five-set defeat to Sam Querrey in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon that year.
He underwent the first hip surgery in January 2018, and despite a diligent rehab was unable to come back to form. After an emotional Australian Open, which Murray at the time thought could be his last tournament, he decided to undergo a hip resurfacing surgery.
Almost a year ago, there was a glimmer of hope for Murray as he won the Antwerp Open – his first title since 2017. But at the end of the season, Murray was once again down with a pelvic injury.
With the sport suspended for more than five months due to Coronavirus, Murray returned to the tour only in August. Since then he has played seven matches and won four.
But with the Murray injury nightmare continuing, he is in doubt for the rest of the season.