Bertens leaves court in wheelchair, Errani mocks her

Kiki Bertens was wheeled off court after her 7-6(5), 3-6, 9-7 win over Sara Errani

Kiki Bertens

Kiki Bertens ended up on a wheelchair after beating former French Open finalist Sara Errani 7-6(5), 3-6, 9-7 in an ill-tempered second round contest at Roland Garros.

ALSO READ: Serena Williams withdraws from French Open

The fifth seed had been visibly struggling physically during the third set, but managed to save a match point and clinch victory in three hours and 11 minutes. The Dutchwoman collapsed to the ground after winning and despite receiving medical treatment on court, had to be wheeled off.

Her opponent Errani though wasn’t convinced of Bertens’ ailments.

“I don’t like when somebody is ‘playing’ with me,” said Errani. “She left the court on a chair and now she is all good eating in the restaurant, I just saw her.”

Upgrade your serve with our FREE guide

The 33-year-old Errani was making her Grand Slam comeback after the doping ban at this year’s French Open. And though the 2012 finalist showed her clay-court prowess during the match, she struggled with her serve, very often resorting to underarm second serves.

She served 14 double faults in the match and won only 18% of the points on her second serve.

The pair combined for 24 breaks of serve across three sets – including a stretch of ten in a row in the decider as they played out the marathon final set. Neither of them held a serve after 2-2 in the decider.

ALSO READ: Tsitsipas, Rublev survive five set thrillers

Though Errani served for the match on three occasions in the third set, she couldn’t quite finish it. The Italian also looked irritated at the cramping Bertens and was spotted openly mocking her.

Errani sought to take advantage of the hobbled opponent, testing and teasing her with drop shots. Though Bertens was running on fumes, she got the crucial break for 8-7 and then served out the match.

She sunk to the ground in relief and was later seen sobbing at her bench. A physio was called on court for her, but despite a lengthy treatment had to be taken off in a wheelchair.