Murray pulls out of Battle of the Brits

The three-time Grand Slam champion withdrew from the third-place playoff match against Cameron Norrie at the exhibition event

0
419

Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray has pulled out of the third-place playoff match against Cameron Norrie in the Battle of the Brits.

The charity exhibition event, organized by his brother Jamie, saw Murray return to action after a seven-month layoff due to injury. The 33-year-old last played a competitive match at the Davis Cup Finals in November 2019.

Also Read: Players question tennis in the time of Corona

Though Murray had sounded hopeful about how his body was coping with match-play, four matches in five days seems to have taken its toll.

“It was a big step up this week from what I’ve been doing, and I coped with it physically relatively well, I thought I moved better with each match and was a bit more confident. It was a positive week,” the Scot had said after losing the semi-finals to Dan Evans on Saturday.

Also Read: Revised ATP calendar unrealistic, says Toni Nadal

Murray has been struggling with a hip injury for the past few years, and even considered retirement early in 2019. But he has shown signs of a comeback since a hip resurfacing injury last year.

James Ward has replaced him for the third-place contest, while Kyle Edmund will take on Evans in the final.

LEAVE A REPLY